In Christianity, they are known as the Twin Saints, patron saints of doctors, pharmacists, and protectors of children. Cosmas and Damian sanctified themselves through the practice of medicine, prayers, and donations to the needy. It is very common for mothers to make promises to Saint Cosme and Damian for the health of their children.
The tradition of distributing sweets originated in the African matrix religions, as a treat for the twin orixás Ibejis, twin sons of Iansã and Xangô, who asked for one child and two came. It symbolizes joy and sharing the joy of having given birth to twin sons.
In the Catholic Church, the image of the brothers has several meanings:
- Green tunic ? It symbolizes hope and the life that conquers death.
- Red Cloak ? It symbolizes martyrdom. The two were killed for openly manifesting their faith in Jesus Christ.
- White Collar ? Purity of heart
- Medallion ? It symbolizes faith. It has the face of Christ, whom they considered the doctor of doctors.
- Gift Boxes ? They symbolize the remedies for physical healing and faith in Jesus Christ for the healing of the soul.
- The Palm ? It symbolizes the victory of the martyrs, who gave their lives for Jesus.
Meaning of the Saint Cosme and Damian Tattoo:
- Jesus Christ